Welcome To Karnataka State Open University (KSOU)
The Karnataka State Open University established on 1st June 1996 vide Karnataka Govt. Notification No. ED 1 UOV 95 dated 12th February 1996 - KSOU Act 1992 is considered to be a reputed Open University amongst the open learning institutions in the country. Keeping in view the educational needs of our country, in general, and state in particular the policies and programmes have been geared to cater to the needy.
Karnataka State Open University is a recognised University of Distance Education Council (DEC), New Delhi, regular member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), Delhi, permanent member of Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), London, UK, Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU), Beijing, China, and also has association with Commonwealth of Learning (COL).
Karnataka State Open University is situated at the North–Western end of the Manasagangotri campus, Mysore. The campus, which is about 5 Kms, from the city centre, has a serene atmosphere ideally suited for academic pursuits. The University houses at present the Administrative Office, Academic Block, Lecture Halls, a well-equipped Library, Guest House Cottages, a Moderate Canteen, Girls Hostel and a few cottages providing limited accommodation to students coming to Mysore for attending the Contact Programmes or Term-end examinations.
The University System is a respected higher-learning organization known for its distinctive strengths in providing superior and relevant distance learning programs to its learners. In pursuing this vision, the University System:
• Creates interactive, effective learning environments for all constituents
• Serves its constituents’ diverse personal and professional development needs.
• Expands access to affordable programs to underserved learners
The Karnataka State Open University came into being to achieve the following objectives:
• Democratizing Higher Education by taking it to the doorsteps of the learners
• Providing access to high quality education to all those who seek it, irrespective of age, region or formal qualifications.
• Offering need – based academic Programmes by giving professional and vocational orientation to the programme.
• Promoting and developing distance education in India
• Relaxed entry regulations
• Providing opportunities to study according to one’s own pace and convenience
• Flexibility in choosing the combination of courses from a wide range of disciplines
• Providing opportunity to study from one’s own chosen place and pace
The Karnataka State Open University has been recognized by the following well-known organization:
• Distance Education Council(DEC), UGC, New Delhi
• Regular member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), Delhi,
• Permanent member of Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) London UK,
• Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU), Beijing, China,
• And also has association with Commonwealth of Learning (COL).
National – International Recognition
• Karnataka State Open University (KSOU) was established on 1st June 1996 with the assent of His Excellency Honorable Governor of Karnataka as a full fledged University in the academic year 1996 vide Government notification no ED 1 UOV 95 dated 12th February 1996 (KSOU Act – 1992). The act was promulgated with the object to incorporate an Open University at the State level for the introduction and promotion of Open University and Distance Education systems in the education pattern of the State and for the Co-ordination and determination of standard of such systems.
• With the virtue of KSOU Act of 1992, Karnataka State Open University is empowered to establish, maintain or recognize Colleges, Regional Centers and Study Centers at such places in Karnataka and may also open outside Karnataka at such places as it deems fit.
• Distance Education Council (DEC), New Delhi, has accorded recognition to Karnataka State Open University, Mysore for offering Programmes / Courses approved by the Statutory bodies of the University. Karnataka State Open University is a recognized University of Distance Education Council under the aegis of Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) (Revised notification F. No. DEC/OU/Recog./2008).
• Karnataka State Open University is a regular member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi since 1999 (No. EV/11(80)/99/203935-4172).
• Karnataka State Open University is a permanent member of Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), London, United Kingdom since 1999. Its member code is: ZKASOPENUINI.
• Karnataka State Open University is a permanent member of Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU), Beijing, China since 1999.
• Karnataka State Open University has association with Commonwealth of Learning (COL), Vancouver, Canada since 2003. COL is an intergovernmental organization created by Commonwealth Heads of Government to encourage the development and sharing of open learning / distance education knowledge, resources and technologies.
• Recognition Policy of DEC (Distance Education Council)
We are committed to provide highest standard professional knowledge based education which exceeds the expectations of our students. Our policy enforces to achieve the objectives of the university by teamwork with a process participation and continuous improvement in the educational programs and administrations.